Sunday, January 11, 2015

Skrandžiai 1931



A happy new year to all visitors!
I'm starting this year's first post with a cover sent from Skrandžiai (former Matzwöhlen, Memelgebiet) in 1931 to Frankfurt a. M., Germany. Skrandžiai sounds to me kinda strange because "Skrandis" means stomach in english, haha... Anyway, Not only Matzwöhlen is one of the "hard to get" Memel postmark but from my experience, I get the feeling that Skrandžiai during the first Lithuanian republic is even harder to get (or am I wrong?). The village does not seem to exist anymore, if my information is correct, there is a huge pond at the site where the Skrandžiai used to exist just few kilometers outside Klaipėda's modern city limit. I don't know if the site is still called Skrandžiai nowdays but it looks like it is part of the administration of  the village of Budelkiemis.

No comments:

Post a Comment