Sunday, April 19, 2015

Smalininkai 1906

Schmalleningken (now Smalininkai) - Hotel Deutsches Haus and the pier


TPO Bahnpost Pogegen - Schmalleningken / Pagėgiai - Smalininkai

This is a postcard sent in 1906 from Schmalleningken (now Smalininkai, Lithuania), East Prussia to Санкт-Петербург / Sankt-Peterburg, Russia. Schmalleningken was an important center on the eastern edge of Memelland having a pier facing Memel / Nemunas River and a railway connection. The postmark is a railway post (Bahnpost) of the line Pogegen (now Pagėgiai, Lithuania) - Schmalleningken. The picture of the postcard is also interesting as well, with the large steam boat "Herold" with lots of passengers getting ready to leave the pier in front of the hotel Deutsches Haus.

3 comments:

  1. Hi

    I am collector of German Bahnpost currently writting a book on the ostbahn routes including the occupied Baltic area. I wonder if you could sell me a cover from your collection to include it in my book.

    Look forward to hearing from you

    Kind Regards
    Dominic Wickremasinghe
    (London)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    I'm sorry I basically do not sell my collection. But if someday I would decide to sell my collection in the future, I will let you know.
    regards,
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Prahanoaki

    I would like to copy your cover to my publication in addition too my POGEGEN - SCHMALLENINGKEN covers.

    Yor cover will be theen added to my unfinished book OSTBAHN ABOUT 500 Pages.

    Look forward to hearing from you

    Kind regards
    Dominic

    ReplyDelete